Georgina’s practice encompasses all areas of private family law with a focus on financial remedy work and contentious private law children cases. Often her work has an international dimension and includes cases involving child abduction, relocation, jurisdiction disputes and international maintenance issues.
Georgina appears regularly in the High Court and has also appeared in the Court of Appeal. Regarded as a highly knowledgeable and skilful advocate with a real flair for putting people at their ease, she works tirelessly and tenaciously to achieve the best possible outcomes for her clients.
Georgina’s linguistic ability and knowledge of both French and German makes her an excellent choice for international matters and any case with an international element.
Georgina was called to the Bar in 2007.
Before commencing pupillage at Coram Chambers, she was employed at the leading Welsh law firm Hugh James in Cardiff, working on a range of family law cases, including high net worth divorce cases and child abduction cases. She was also afforded the opportunity of acting as junior to Mark Powell QC in two very serious child protection cases.
She joined Coram Chambers in 2010 with an important scholarship and following a pupillage supervised by Nicholas O’Brien, Jane Drew and Dermot Casey, was invited to become a tenant.
Georgina had previously embarked on an acting career having studied English Literature at York University. Georgina combined her subsequent training as a classical actress at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, with work as a bilingual assistant for a Mayfair-based corporate finance boutique. This early experience has proved invaluable, affording her a commanding and persuasive presence in court and an insight into complex financial arrangements, experience which she now brings to her financial remedy work.
Georgina’s recent cases have included:
- In the High Court, successfully opposing an application for permission to appeal a financial order.
- Negotiating, advising on and drafting a detailed financial settlement in high value financial proceedings following the dissolution of a civil partnership.
- In the High Court, in an application under the Child Abduction and Custody Act 1985 for summary return of two children aged 15 and 13, which resulted in a successful outcome for the client.
- Re J (A Child) (Finland)(Habitual Residence)  EWCA Civ 80, led by Deirdre Fottrell QC in a case about the court’s jurisdiction under Brussel’s IIA, in which she was successful.
- Re D (A Child: Jurisdiction: Habitual Residence)  EWHC 1689 (Fam) (High Court), without a leader in a three day contested jurisdiction dispute, determining the habitual residence of a child as a preliminary issue.
- In the High Court, in a case concerning substantial assets and an application for a world-wide freezing order, in which she was successful.
- Advice in relation to a pre-nuptial agreement where there had been a substantial lottery win.
- Financial remedy proceedings concerning a disputed post-nuptial agreement.
- In the High Court, in a contested jurisdiction dispute.
BA Hons Degree in English and Related Literature from the University of York
Masters in Classical Acting from The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Graduate Diploma in Law from City University
Bar Vocational Course
Family Law Bar Association
Association of Lawyers for Children
Child Abduction Lawyers Association
Publications and Training
Georgina lectures in-house and externally and gives regular internal and external seminars for both the Family Finance and Children teams, including on International Relocation and Marital Agreements.
Georgina writes for Family Law Week, recently contributing the following article, The Divorce Trap: Life After Owens v Owens
Georgina is also an Assistant Editor for Family Affairs (FLBA magazine).
Lincoln’s Inn (Sunley Scholarship) and Hardwicke Entrance Award
“I have worked with Georgina on numerous Financial Remedy, Private Children and Domestic Violence cases over the years and I am always impressed by her professionalism and expertise. Her attention to detail and extensive knowledge ensures that she has a high level of successful outcomes. Her friendly manner and ability to explain the law in a simple way makes her very popular with the clients who always give me positive feedback on her performance in court. I would not hesitate to use or recommend Georgina as a family law barrister. She is, without doubt, a rising star within her field.”
Sophie Capo-Bianco, Solicitor
“I have worked with Georgina on Financial Remedy and Private law Children matters and found her knowledge in both areas to be impeccable. She is hard working and has an excellent eye for detail. I have observed her to be a skilful advocate who works tirelessly to produce the best results for her clients at all times and her advice is always realistic and pragmatic. She has a professional yet warm manner with clients and is skilled at identifying their objectives and goals.”
Luned Rees-Williams, Partner
Re J (A Child) (Finland)(Habitual Residence)  EWCA Civ 80
Re D (A Child: Jurisdiction: Habitual Residence)  EWHC 1689 (Fam) (High Court)